Voting & Elections Info
You may register to vote in person at the Town Clerk’s Office or Online at registertovotema.com.
Town Clerk Election Responsibilities
– prepares the ballots for town elections
– receives nomination papers
– records campaign expenditures and contributions
– arranges for absentee ballots
– instructs and supervises the election officers
– records the election results
– retains custody of the ballots and voting lists in the event of a recount
– transmits election results from each precinct as well as the complete list of town officers to the Secretary of State within 24 hours after each election
– serves as a member of the Board of Registrars registering all voters, recording the party enrollment of each voter in the annual register and certifying the signatures of the voters on all petitions.
Register to Vote
Come to the Town Clerk’s office to register to vote. If you are unable to apply in person there is a mail-in form available in our office or you can request one from the Secretary of State’s Office. Alternatively register online here:
Absentee ballot forms are available at the Town Clerk’s office. For additional questions and a form that can be download, you can visit the Secretary of State’s website.
Hours for Voting
Polls are open on voting day from 7AM to 8 PM.
Where do I vote?
Hamilton is divided into three (3) precincts and all voters vote at the H-W Recreation Gymnasium, 16 Union St, Hamilton, MA
Eligibility to Vote
A US citizen who is 18 years old on election day is eligible to vote. First time voters should register ahead of time at the Town Clerk’s office. Contact us to find out how long prior to an election you must register.
Changing Your Party Affiliation
You can change your party affiliation by filling out a new voter registration form at the Town Clerk’s office or online at registertovotema.com.
Annual Town Meeting & Local Elections for Town Offices
Annual Town Meeting is the first Saturday in April at 9:00 AM
Town elections are always held the first Thursday after the opening of the Annual Town Meeting 7:00 AM – 8:00 PM.
Other Election Questions
Please check the Secretary of State website. All rules for Town Clerks regarding elections are issued from the Secretary of State.
Reporting Donations Collected by a Candidate
The Town Clerk’s office has useful information on this topic. Information can also be found on the website for the Office of Campaign and Political Finance.