The housing stock in Hamilton is almost entirely single-family homes on individual lots. Given the high cost of even entry-level homes and the 20,000 square foot minimum lot for new developments in certain areas of town, there needs to be another option for those that want to downsize, those that want a newer home with less maintenance, those that don’t want to move to an apartment in another town, and those that want a small, sustainable home that is part of a community with green space and open space.
- Diversifies housing choice
- Clusters homes close together to allow for open green spaces, better utilization of land
- Smaller, more sustainable homes. Small footprints, typically 1-1.5 stories.
- The clustering of small homes around green spaces minimize the perception of mass
- Close proximity of homes foster a sense of community, familiarity and safety