Education, Training and Credentialing Information
Check the chart by role to see OLRH recommendations for credentials and training.
Though currently presented as recommendations, the OLRH expects our Health Departments to be working towards meeting these minimums.
Many of these trainings are available for free. For those that require a fee, including the recommended professional memberships, you can either submit your receipts for reimbursement through your own health department, or through the EERPHC, whichever your town prefers.
As you complete trainings and obtain recommended professional memberships, in addition to saving records for yourself, please report them to your supervisor for your department’s records.
SPECIAL COMMISSION ON LOCAL AND REGIONAL PUBLIC HEALTH
EDUCATIONAL, TRAINING, AND CREDENTIALING RECOMMENDATIONS
|POSITION||REQUIRED AT HIRE||REQUIRED AFTER HIRE||RECOMMENDED|
|MANAGEMENT – e.g., Director, Assistant Director, Deputy Director
Management position does not do inspections but supervises those who do.
|PUBLIC HEALTH NURSE||
(NOTE: IF DOING INSPECTIONS MUST MEET REQUIREMENTS ABOVE)
- All personnel should have at least ICS 100/NIMS 700 within one year of hire. Those who might have a leadership role should have ICS 200 and above.
- Boards of health may have stricter requirements, but must meet these requirements.
- Boards of health with current staff who have worked for local or state public health for at least 7 years, but who do not meet these requirements, may request a waiver except for inspectional trainings.
- Membership in professional organizations is deemed as critical for professional growth and development, for leadership and mentoring opportunities, and for opportunities for sharing best practices. This is recommended, but not required.
*Management positions should meet the requirements as set forth in this document for the position. However, a request may be submitted by the board of health to waive the Registered Sanitarian (RS) requirement if:
1) The health department has a management position and a separate fulltime environmental health director and
2) the environmental health director has an RS, oversees the inspectors, and reports directly to the management position.