Register to Vote for Town Meeting and All Elections

You may register to vote in person at the Town Clerk’s Office or through the Secretary of State’s office online at REGISTERTOVOTEMA.COM

Hours and Location for Voting

Polls are open on Election Day from 7 am to 8 pm.  

Both precincts vote at the Hamilton-Wenham Recreation Gymnasium, located at 16 Union Street in Hamilton.   

VOTING PRECINCTS:  Hamilton has changed from three (3) voting precincts to two (2) voting precincts. If you were in Precinct #3, you have been reassigned to P #1 or P #2.  Precinct lists will be posted at every Election.  Click here for the new precinct map effective January 1, 2022.

Election Responsibilities of the Town Clerk

  • Processes Vote-by-Mail applications, mails ballots, processes returned ballot envelopes
  • Maintains voter lists and pertinent information, and supervision of voter registration
  • Manages voting procedures for local and state elections
  • Prepares the ballots for Town elections
  • Maintains campaign finance records
  • Arranges for absentee ballot procedures and processing
  • Instructs and supervises the election officers
  • Records the election results
  • Maintains Annual Census information and files
  • Retains custody of the ballots and voting lists in the event of a recount
  • Transmits election results from each precinct as well as the complete list of town officers to the Secretary of State within 24 hours of each election
  • Serves as a member of the Board of Registrars registering all voters, records the party enrollment of each voter in the annual register, and receives and certifies the signatures of the voters on all petitions

Eligibility to Vote

A United States citizen who is 18 years old on election day is eligible to vote. First-time voters should register ahead of time and become a pre-registrant so that when turning 18, they will automatically become registered in the State’s system.  Contact us to find out how long prior to an election you must register.   On Election Day, some voters may find that their names have been placed on the list of ‘inactive voters’. The inactive voters list is made up of registered voters who have not responded to the annual street list or subsequent confirmation notice. Inactive voters may still vote, but will first be asked to show identification and will be required to fill out an Affirmation of Current and Continuous Residence form; delays should be expected at the polls for these reasons.   Note:  Please read the State of Massachusetts information with respect to ‘Inactive Voter Status” to ensure a smooth process as you may need to bring identification with you.

To Change Parties, Update Name, or Check Registration

You may do this at the Town Clerk’s Office, via the mail by requesting a voter registration form or through the Secretary of State’s office. You may change your party affiliation by filling out a new Voter Registration Form at the Town Clerk’s office or online through the Secretary of State’s Online Voter Registration by clicking here. We are unable to change a person’s party affiliation without a written Voter Registration Form signed by you.

Absentee Ballot Applications

Absentee Ballot Applications are available at the Town Clerk’s office by clicking here. For additional information – including reasons you may apply to vote Absentee and the exemption during the COVID-19 pandemic – you may visit the Secretary of State’s website.

Vote By Mail Applications

Vote By Mail is available for all elections.  Click here for the current application.

Annual Town Meeting & Local Elections for Town Offices

Annual Town Meeting is held on the first Saturday of April at 9:00 am.     
Town Elections are held the first Thursday after the opening of the Annual Town Meeting from 7:00 am to 8:00  pm.  

Other Election Questions

Please check the Secretary of State website. All rules for Town Clerks regarding elections are issued from the Secretary of State.
Reporting Campaign Contributions Collected by a Candidate:  The Town Clerk’s office has useful information on this topic. Information can also be found on the website for the Office of Campaign and Political Finance.