NOVEMBER ELECTION INFO:
FOR LOCATION, EARLY VOTING, AND IN-PERSON VOTING INFORMATION DATES AND DEADLINES FOR THE UPCOMING NOVEMBER 3RD STATE/PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION, CLICK HERE
TO VIEW THE BALLOT QUESTIONS FOR THE NOVEMBER 3RD ELECTION, CLICK HERE
FOR THE OFFICIAL RESULTS OF THE 9/1 PRIMARY ELECTION, CLICK HERE.
If you would like to vote by mail for the election:
All applications and ballots can be mailed to the Town Clerk’s Office, P.O. Box 429, Hamilton, MA 01936-0429 or dropped in the Overnight Drop Box in front of Town Hall, or dropped off at the Clerk’s Office. Applications can also be mailed once completed to both: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org.
IN-PERSON EARLY VOTING (AT TOWN HALL, 577 BAY ROAD) FOR NOVEMBER 3RD PRESIDENTIAL ELECTION RUNS OCTOBER 17-30; SPECIFIC TIMES TO BE PUBLISHED SOON.
Voter changes can be done online at the Secretary of State’s website: https://www.sec.state.ma.us/OVR/Welcome.aspx
or by calling the Clerk’s Office at 978-468-5570, ext 3 to request an application to be sent by mail or via email @ email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
You may also do the following through the Clerk’s Office by email/online/mail for your convenience:
Dog Licensing (the March 31st deadline was waived but as of June 1st, late fees apply; click here for more info and registration form; licensing can be done online at: https://epay.cityhallsystems.com/selection
Records requests for the Clerk’s Office records can be done via email: email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org
Marriage licenses, birth certificates, and death certificates may be ordered and paid online at: https://unipaygold.unibank.com/customerinfo.aspx or you may request vitals certificates by mail; send the request, a check for $10.00 made to the Town of Hamilton, and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to the Town Clerk’s office. Be sure to include the name and date of the vital record. If your request is of a more time-sensitive nature, email email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org and we will prepare it and arrange for pick-up.
For additional town-related information, please see the respective departments’ web pages for helpful information and instructions as well as their direct contact numbers.
The Town Clerk serves as a recording officer and custodian of vital statistics and valuable municipal records. Among other duties, the Town Clerk records and certifies all votes passed at Town Meeting, administers and records Oaths of Office to town officials, and records various instruments as required by state law.
Other responsibilities of the Town Clerk’s Office:
- Maintains voter lists and pertinent information; supervises all voter registration
- Manages voting procedures for local and state elections
- Prepares the ballots for Town elections
- Maintenance of campaign finance records
- Arranges for absentee ballots
- Instructs and supervises the election officers
- Records all election results
- Retains custody of the ballots and voting lists in the event of a recount
- Transmits election results from each precinct as well as the complete list of town officers to the Secretary of State within 24 hours of each election
- Serves as a member of the Board of Registrars registering all voters, records the party enrollment of each voter in the annual register, and receives and certifies the signatures of the voters on all petitions
- Issues Business Certificates (also known as “dba” certificates) and processes Certificate Withdrawals
- Issues dog licenses; maintains records and database of all dogs in Town
- Maintains Annual Census files
- Maintains all vital records (birth, death, and marriage certificates)
- Posts/records all public meeting notices for the Town
- Administers Oath of Office to all members of boards, commissions, and committees and advisement of members of obligations under Open Meeting Law and Conflict of Interest Law*
- Provides notary services for certain documents
- Compiles and distributes the official City Street Listing Book
- Accepts and records Zoning Board of Appeals, Planning Board, and other Special Permits and/or Decisions; certifies and provides Final Decisions to Applicants for Recording at Registry of Deeds
The Town Clerk also serves as the Parking Clerk, accepting payments for parking citations within the Town of Hamilton.
The following licenses, permits, and services are available at the Office of the Town Clerk:
- Business (d/b/a/) Certificates
- By-laws (Town, Zoning with Zoning/ Groundwater Maps)
- Certified Copies of Vitals (Birth, Death, Marriage certificates)
- Marriage Licenses/Marriage Intentions
- Dog Licenses
- Raffle & Bazaar Permits
- Resident List/ Street List/ Voter List
- Voter Registration Services
- Public Meeting Notices (MUST be filed and time stamped 48 hours prior to meeting)
Business Certificates (“DBA form”) must be filed by unincorporated business located in Hamilton that are conducting business under a name other than one’s own. The fee for a Business Certificate is $25 and is valid for four years upon which time is renewable. Renewals and withdrawals must be done in writing and must be notarized. The fee for a Withdrawal Certificate is $10.
The following by-laws are sold by the Town Clerk’s office: Zoning By-Laws with maps – $20.; Subdivision Rules and Regulation – $5.; Town By-Laws – $5. These publications can also be downloaded from the town website.
Obtaining Vital Records – Certified Copies
The Clerk’s office has the following vital records and will provide only Certified Copies of such records:
Birth Records if the parents lived in Hamilton at the time of the child’s birth; the child was born in Hamilton; or both.
Marriage Records if the Marriage Intentions were originally taken out in Hamilton.
Death Records if the person died in Hamilton; was a resident of Hamilton at the time of death; or both.
Note: Some birth and marriage records are restricted records under Massachusetts Law. In order to be allowed access to such documents, a valid ID must be shown by the person requesting the document (a photocopy of ID if mailing a request). Only those listed on the document will have access to the record.
To request online through Unipay: https://unipaygold.unibank.com/customerinfo.aspx
To request via mail: Certified copies of vital records are $10.00 per copy; you may mail a check (payable to “Town of Hamilton” and fill in memo section appropriately) and mail to Town Clerk, Hamilton Town Hall, 577 Bay Road, Hamilton, MA 01936 and include a self-addressed/stamped envelope.
Per Massachusetts state law, all dogs six months of age and older must be licensed in the town in which they reside. Evidence of a current rabies vaccination must be provided to the Clerk’s Office prior to issuance of license. Intact males and females $20.; Neutered males and spayed females $15.; owners over 70 years of age are granted the first dog license at no charge. The annual license is good from April 1 – March 31. Beginning in June, late fees are assessed. Click here for more information.
To register online through City Hall Systems: https://epay.cityhallsystems.com/selection
To request via mail: Complete the Application for Dog License Form (see “Forms” on website) and mail check (payable to “Town of Hamilton” and rabies certificate* (will be returned to you) and write ‘dog license’ in memo section, and mail to: Town Clerk, Hamilton Town Hall, 577 Bay Road, Hamilton, MA 01936. *Proof of rabies certification MUST accompany request as by law, we are not allowed to issue licenses without proof.
Street listings are available for $15.00.
Frequently Asked Questions
Street lists are available for $15.00.
Certified copies of Birth, Death, and Marriage records are available for $10.
All dogs six months of age and older must be licensed per Massachusetts state law. Evidence of a current rabies vaccination must be provided upon applying for a license. Males and Females $20.; Neutered Males and Spayed Females $15.; owners over 70 years of age receive their first dog license no charge. Licenses are for the period April 1st. through March 31st annually. Dogs not registered/licensed by June will be subject to late fees.
The Hamilton Town Clerk’s Office issues certified copies of the records of birth of any person whose birth occurred within the Town of Hamilton and for any resident whose parents resided in the Town of Hamilton at the time of birth. If you are not certain if the birth certificate is filed here, call the office for confirmation at 978-468-5570, ext. 3 before ordering, as refunds could take up to 4 weeks to process.
The Hamilton Town Clerk’s Office issues certified copies of the records of death of any person whose death occurred within the Town of Hamilton and for any Hamilton resident who passed away in any other Massachusetts community. If you are not certain whether a death certificate was filed here, call the office for confirmation at 978-468-5570, ext. 3 before ordering, as refunds could take up to 4 weeks to process.